Nature Programs Coordinator, Full-time, 2-year contract
The Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust is one of over 35 land trusts in Ontario. We are a charitable organization dedicated to protecting and caring for natural features on the Oak Ridges Moraine and surrounding landscapes. We are looking for an individual who is interested in joining our team, who will be responsible for coordinating the remaining 2 years of the BioBlitz outreach program, plus managing restoration projects and protected property monitoring. This requires someone who can work independently to manage projects and budgets, plan and implement event coordination, oversee ecological restoration and enhancement projects, as well as volunteer recruitment and retention. If you are looking for an experience that is multi-faceted and fast paced, this is it!
The Nature Programs Coordinator has an understanding of the Oak Ridges Moraine as an important ecological and physical feature in Ontario. They possess a positive personality and an ability to relate to and communicate with a diverse group of stakeholders. They have demonstrated species identification skills and an awareness of invasive species, species at risk, and biodiversity in Ontario.
The Nature Programs Coordinator possesses a professional attitude, an ability to coordinate multiple events simultaneously with exceptional organizational skills. They have well developed project management and implementation skills and pay attention to detail and accuracy.
- Working with the Program Manager to coordinate and implement the BioBlitz and other outreach programs.
- Provide written reports to various stakeholders on the findings and status of the program, including grant reports.
- Coordinate volunteer recruitment and engagement for events.
- Implement communications and promotions for the events and workshop series.
- Identify and recruit expert leads and workshop speakers for events across the Moraine.
- Develop create ways to engage the public in events and initiatives that help them connect with nature and the environment.
- Assist in the delivery of outreach events including public speaking, demonstrations, hikes etc. that will contribute to the success of the Bioblitz program.
- Assist in the coordination of various workshops and speaking engagements including registration, booking facilities, and promotion.
- Working with the Program Manager to provide regular updates to the social media accounts of the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust.
- Coordinate small ecological restoration projects such as pollinator gardens, invasive species management and tree planting.
- Assist with management and monitoring of the Land Trust’s Nature Reserves and other protected properties across the Moraine.
- Other Duties as assigned
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Graduate of post-secondary education in biology, ecosystem management, land management, ecology or environmental sciences.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of environmental issues and experience communicating the importance of stewardship activities.
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated program management, implementation and evaluation skills.
- Demonstrated experience with GPS and related ecological field equipment.
- Strong computer skills with experience in Excel, Word, PowerPoint databases and web-based applications.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; ability to work easily and effectively with a wide range of people, build trust and solid relationships, be diplomatic and exhibit sensitivity.
- High attention to detail; ability to work to strict deadlines and under pressure. Demonstrate this by including the name of an invasive species on the Moraine in the first paragraph of your cover letter.
- Ability to plan and coordinate complex activities, organize multiple tasks and prioritize work.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with highly sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to reliable transportation, with appropriate insurance.
- Must be under 30 years of age to apply.
Our commitment to you: An orientation session will be provided with ongoing support and feedback. We offer a flexible work environment with opportunities to further your professional development.
What’s in it for you? Build and enhance your knowledge of the Moraine, the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust, and its activities. Be part of a great not-for-profit charity organization which dedicates its efforts to the protection and management of the ecologically significant Oak Ridges Moraine.
When and where:
Full-time, 2-year contract with possibility of extension. Compensation to commensurate with experience, within the range of $35,000 to $40,000/yr, plus benefits after 3 months. If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume to Landtrust@oakridgesmoraine.org by 5:00pm Friday August 27th, 2021
We are a small but mighty team who are continually inspired by the dedication of our donors and supporters. We believe in hard work, teamwork, responsibility, and a commitment to our donors. Protecting natural areas is not our job, it is our passion and our promise! Visit us at oakridgesmoraine.org.