Become an Audit and Finance Committee Member with the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust!
Help to make a difference for the environment and mitigation of climate change!
Our Vision: We envision that natural environments important to sustaining life are protected forever.
Our Mission: The Land Trust works to ensure a healthy ecosystem and natural environment that thrives forever, on and near the Oak Ridges Moraine.
Responsibilities as an Audit and Finance Committee Member:
- Contribute to the financial oversight of the Trust on behalf of the Board and members;
- Recommend the auditor selection and oversee the integrity of the Trust’s annual financial statements, including auditor reports and letters, management responses and any financial information for submission to a governmental body, the public or members.
- Support the administration and governance of the Trust’s financial resources, including the annual Budget;
- Monitor the implementation of the Trust’s financial policies and procedures;
- Identify related risks and recommend risk management actions;
- Review relevant changes to accounting standards.
What’s in it for you? Build and enhance your professional skills, meet new people and be part of a great charitable organization dedicated to the protection of the ecologically significant Oak Ridges Moraine. Become part of a meaningful way to be part a team taking action to protect our natural environment.
What you bring: We are seeking volunteers who are professional accountants, retired accountants, accounting students or other experienced financial leaders. Our ideal candidate would have some of the following:
- An understanding of the principles of financial management in a not-for-profit organization;
- Experience with risk oversight and investment policies in a charity;
- Interest in a leadership career path, such as to Treasurer and/or Audit Chair.
The position requires:
- Personal integrity and the ability to participate effectively and constructively in group decision-making and discussions;
- Ability to invest 3 – 4 hours a month in committee meeting attendance, communications and document reviews;
- Ability to make a commitment of at least one year on the committee.
Meetings: Committee meetings are typically held virtually, usually on the third Wednesday evening of each month. The Committee is supported by the Financial Officer and the CEO, both of whom are CPAs.
DEI Commitment: Diversity, equity and inclusion among our members, volunteers, staff and Board of Directors allows us to better understand, connect to and respond to the communities we serve and make better decisions for the Trust. We encourage candidates who will further diversify our organization through a wide range of thought, ethnicities, age, genders, life experiences and more. Given our role in stewarding the land and water, we particularly welcome Indigenous candidates.
How to apply: Please forward your covering letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, ideally before June 16, 2023, but we will accept applications anytime.
Note: The Trust is also recruiting Board members. If that of interest, please learn more at https://www.oakridgesmoraine.org/about-us-oak-ridges-moraine-land-trust/become-a-board-member-with-the-trust/.
Check out some of the great things we have done, and there is a lot more to come!